A full-time postdoctoral fellow position is available in the research laboratory of Dr. Rosanna Weksberg at the Research Institute of The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The Weksberg lab is looking for a highly motivated and talented candidate with strong leadership skills. Priority will be given to candidates with experience in studying the epigenetic basis of disease and/or induced pluripotent stem cells, using both bioinformatic tools and wet lab approaches. The position start date is flexible.
Research in the Weksberg lab focuses on studying various paediatric neurodevelopmental disorders from an epigenetic perspective, with access to large repositories of biological samples and associated research data. The lab uses diverse approaches to investigate these research questions, including the genomic and epigenomic profiling of patient samples from blood samples, iPSC and mouse models, cell culture studies on primary and manipulated cell lines and drug treatment assays in mouse models and cultured cells to test potential therapeutic agents. We use many state-of-the-art genomic/epigenomic techniques, such as WGS, cfMeDIP-seq, DNA methylation arrays, ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq and RNA-seq.
The successful candidate will be expected to design and perform their own studies and to participate in collaborative projects with other lab members as well as external collaborators. The candidate will lead and/or assist in the preparation of reports, manuscripts and grant applications and will present their work at local, national and international meetings.
- Recent PhD (within the last 2 years) or graduating PhD candidate in a relevant life sciences field;
- First-author publications and/or manuscripts in preparation or completed;
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills, with a high degree of independence and flexibility;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- A demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
- Bioinformatics skills, specifically in the analysis of epigenomic data;
- Proficiency in cell and molecular biology techniques including tissue culture.
- Cover letter (including a statement of research interests and prior experience in research);
- Contact info for three references.
About the Research Institute at The Hospital for Sick Children
The Weksberg laboratory is located in the Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning (PGCRL), Research Institute (RI) at The Hospital for Sick Children. The SickKids RI is Canada’s largest, hospital-based child health research institute. The PGCRL is home to more than 2,000 SickKids scientists, trainees and child health research staff. The state-of-the-art laboratory and learning facilities are designed to support both basic science and translational collaborations, creating critical links between scientific discovery and its application in health care.